CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Art Journal color explosion

I started playing in my art journal last week and it is SO, SO addictive!  I love the freedom of taking a blank page and turning it into anything I can imagine, no boundaries.

This first page came about from playing with my Dylusion ink sprays and creating a colorful background.  I stamped the Sun Frog (Paula Best stamp) onto watercolor paper and added wings (Unity Stamp Co Wings of Hope) using some clever masking and used some Dylysions to color it. 
I stamped the clouds (Unity Stamp Co Up in the Clouds) several times and then stamped the hot air balloon (Inkadinkado) over and over.  I used my white gel pen to help define the clouds and balloons.  I stamped the sentiment (Unity Stamp Co Wings of Hope) and cut out and decoupaged onto the background.  I stamped the zig-zag stars (Unity Stamp Co May 2014 SMAK) and outlined with the gel pen.  I put the frog down over that and stamped the Go Fly (Unity Stamp Co Nov 2013 SMAK) to finish the page.
The next page started with me attempting to blend my gelatos onto the paper.  I've tried this technique several times with not so good results.  Same with this one.  I spritzed it with water and took a brush to try to blend it as well but it just looked very unblended and too crazy.  In an attempt to tone it down I covered it with a layer of gesso and that seemed to make it better.  I stamped the dandelion (Unity Stamp Co Insightful Meadows) and then stamped the clouds (Unity Stamp Co June 2013 SMAK) which I colored in with watercolors.  I wrote the wishes, not weeds with a Pitt Pen as well as the journaling lines and the pollen pieces that are flying on the breeze.  I used a few border stamps to finish it off, the polka dots (Unity Stamp Co You Make My Heart Puffy) in a purple distress ink and the scroll (Unity Stamp Co You are Simply the Best) with a black archival ink and finished it off with a few doodles from my gel pen.
I am having so much fun playing with different techniques and exploring new ways to use products.  I am sure you will be seeing many more art journal/mixed media type pieces from me! 
 
Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Christina's Creations said...

I am loving all these fun art journal pages. I've always wished I could do something like this, but it's just not my thing. Awesome work!